what is plexiglass?
Polymethyl methacrylate, referred to as PMMA, is a high molecular polymer and an important thermoplastic that was developed earlier. There are four types of plexiglass: Colorless and transparent, colored and transparent, pearlescent, and embossed plexiglass. Plexiglass is commonly known as acrylic, zhongxuan acrylic, acrylic, gelatin glass, plexiglass has good transparency, chemical stability, mechanical properties and weather resistance, easy to dye, easy to process, beautiful appearance and so on.
Advantages of CNC machining acrylic parts:
- CNC machining techniques can create the highest precision acrylic parts with a good surface finish.
- Although CNC machining is a material reduction movement, its own digital manufacturing and artificial intelligence features can save acrylic material waste to the greatest extent.
- CNC machining acrylic can produce acrylic parts in batches and ensure the same quality of the same batch of goods.
- CNC machined acrylic supports personalized customization and rapid prototyping.
How do CNC service providers manufacture acrylic parts?
- CNC lathe turning acrylic
- CNC milling acrylic
- CNC machining acrylic prototype
What industries are CNC machined acrylic parts applied to?
- Auto industry. CNC machined acrylic sheets are used for car windows, panels, motorcycle windshields, fenders, etc. Colored acrylic sheets are perfect for different car parts. These include interior light covers, light covers and more. Its excellent formability and surface hardness make it an excellent choice for automotive manufacturers.
- lighting and electronics. Acrylic maximizes the luminous potential of LED lights. Its optical properties and transparency make it ideal for lighting. In addition, it has high light transmission. Acrylic is scratch resistant and optically clear. Therefore, they are widely used in various electronic devices.
- Medical and healthcare. Acrylic is a pure and easy-to-clean material. As such, they are used in the manufacture of incubators, cabinets and equipment for medical centres. They are also highly compatible with biologics. This makes them an excellent choice for cavity fillings.
- Construction industry. Most architectural projects use acrylic components. This is due in part to its excellent UV and impact resistance. It is an excellent material for window and door profiles, panels, canopies, facade design and more.
Skills of CNC machining acrylic:
- Stable feed rate. This is done to prevent the tool from staying in the same position too much and generating heat from the friction created by the cutting. If the feed rate is too small, the swarf will start to re-weld onto the part and will destroy the surface finish and precision of the acrylic part.
- Choose the right knife. When drilling acrylic, the drill must have a much smaller apex angle than a standard drill. Instead of 120 degrees, it should be 60 degrees. It was also modified for better chip removal.
- Use the lowest temperature coolant. Many acrylic sheets are cooled before processing. This allows for better chip removal and prevents friction from causing overheating and fire. Other than that, you can use some standard coolants, but, if you have oils, make sure they don’t react with PMMA.
- Grinding and polishing. Parts always need to be ground and polished after achieving the desired precision and shape. Usually this is done with a smaller grit buffing tool followed by a linen towel covered in polishing paste. In addition, there are some chemical polishing methods, such as fumigation.
Xi’an Hi-Precision Machinery Co., Ltd, as an on-demand manufacturing CNC machining company, usually uses 2-axis, 3-axis, 4-axis or even 5-axis CNC machine tools to satisfy you when processing acrylic parts. In order to advance the development of ultra-precision manufacturing, we adopt the latest diamond processing technology. This technique, known as SPDM or SPDT, can be matched with the capabilities of 5-axis micromilling to produce a range of lens and light guide types with exceptional optical quality. We will continue to improve our CNC machining services, and upgrade processing equipment and cutting tools, aiming to process various complex shapes of parts for customers.